Plant Sales Live on JuliaRedman.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

In Bloom: Automagically

Paph. (Zellwood Station x Hsinying Maru) 'Automagically'This is Paph. (Zellwood Station x Hsinying Maru) 'Automagically'.

I recently saw this at my buddy Al's place and had to have it. Ok, no doubt some of you out there are saying "Yeah, ok, what's the excitement? That's pretty average looking." Well, yeah, it is pretty average. Its big, but other than that it is a typical
coloratum maudiae type paph and its a bit cupped.

But that's not what made it exciting. Check out the photo below!

Paph. (Zellwood Station x Hsinying Maru) 'Automagically'Woah! It has wings!

Al had a whole batch of this cross. All were jumbo sized but only a couple had these odd little appendages. This one had the biggest appendages. I scooped it up so I could see if it was a fluke or if it would bloom that way every time.

Special Note: Al's greenhouse recently had a disaster. I don't have any details at this time but I'm sure he will update everyone via the website when he has time. I hope everyone will join me in wishing him strength. Al's greenhouse was a joy to visit and he always has neat stuff. I hope he is able to rebuild.

1 comment:

Alpaca Granny said...

This is such a striking plant! The pattern makes me want to get out my water colors....
Question that you asked - no, the sweaters weren't from handspun alpaca. The girls' mom would not be happy with me to gift handwash clothes
♥Maple