Plant Sales Live on JuliaRedman.com

Saturday, March 29, 2008

2008 South East Pennsylvania Orchid Society Show

Yesterday we went to the 2008 South East Pennsylvania Orchid Society (SEPOS) Show at Longwood Gardens. I just about WORE OUT my camera battery. It was a good show as always, and the sales tent had many goodies too! In honor of the event, Longwood rolled out extra orchids for their installations, including assorted cymbidium hybrids, Phal. Baldan's Kaleidoscope plants everywhere and a wall of all kinds of stuff. Check out the photo at left.

Below is a selection of my photos of plants on display. Please note judging was still in progress when I was there, so I don't know who owns most of the plants shown.


Paph. richardianum
Paph. richardianum, displayed by Piping Rock Orchids. This species was/is (?) a variety of lowii. This one is on my wish list!! I didn't notice any on Piping Rock's sale table, but I'm going to check their website to see if they might have any available.

Paph. Gloria Naugle
This is a Paph. Gloria Naugle displayed by Krull-Smith. Gloria Naugle is the sort of thing I don't normally like, and I've seen a few of them that I didn't like, but this one is quite nice. Strong, even color, lots of shine, good size and consistent form.

Cattleya walkeriana 'Kenny' AM/AOS
A very excellently grown plant of Cattleya walkeriana 'Kenny' AM/AOS, a semi-alba clone. The plant was huge, as in CCM sized. It maybe didn't get that CCM at this show, though, since a few of the flowers were a bit banged up from a rough trip. But I bet it will on the next blooming.

Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens
One of my very favorite Cyps, Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens. Makes me wish I had woodland habitat in my yard.

Cattleya intermedia var. sanguinea
Dendrobium dichaeoides
Cattleya intermedia var. sanguinea (left) and Dendrobium dichaeoides (bottom).

No comments: