Plant Sales Live on JuliaRedman.com

Saturday, January 2, 2010

In Bloom: A lip-less wonder

Phrag. (longifolium x Barbara LeAnn)This is Phrag. (longifolium x Barbara LeAnn). The first flower to open on this plant had no pouch, and no peloric petal either. I waited for a total of three flowers on two spikes to open before taking a photo, to see if this was a developmental mistake. But each of the flowers is the same: No lip! I've never seen anything like it. I think I'll call it "Frank Burns" after the MASH character described as being a "lip-less wonder".

4 comments:

Almay Alday said...

Stunning flower!

BlenderBach said...

Wow, that flower is GORGEOUS! I haven't had much luck with flowers so far, but there's always next spring!

webb said...

Frank should be VERY flattered. This is much more lovely than he ever deserved!!

Leslie said...

Wow! That is so wild!