Hi kidz! Sorry I've been out of touch. New job, still workin' old one on a part time consulting type basis, and trying to survive the lack of sunlight that is December. I think I might be a little photosynthetic. I hate short, cloudy days.
Anyway, I'm trying to get back on track. So for today we have an in bloom:
This is Blc. George King 'Southern Cross' AM/AOS. Yeah, I knew I kept that plant around for a reason. Such a lovely flower. There are actually several nice clones of George King. It is compact growing, and fragrant like cheap liquid soap.
Now, I didn't take any photos, but the paph protocorms mentioned in an earlier post are doing well. A week or two after that post, the protocorms in the light started to look a bit more green. I moved the ones in darkness to light and they greened up too.
Now, someone on OGD suggested they would be too difficult to transfer them at a young age, but its actually not that bad. Also, lets remember that my germination media had no complex sugars added, so there was not really enough there for them to grow any more. (Frequently germination media has a small amount of some complex ingredient to get them started, but not so much that it might stunt them, but I did not have the appropriate stuff for paphs). They couldn't stay on that media for long or they would die.
But for anyone interested, it is not actually that hard to do. Using a sterile spatula like this one, I simply scrape little piles of protocorms off the mother flask media with the spoonish end, then spread them onto replate media. I have done this before. Its a great opportunity to spread and thin out your protocorms so they are not so stacked on top of each other. In this case, I transferred each of the 10cm petri dishes onto 2 or 3 pint size containers with the media on the long side (like the photo in the previous blog post that shows the phals, but with a LOT more protocorms).
Later on down the road, when they have itty bitty leaves, I'll pluck the paph seedlings with forceps to another set of flasks for them to grow up large enough for deflasking. In many cases, this three stage system results in bigger, happier seedlings anyway. I have high hopes for a quality output here.