Plant Sales Live on JuliaRedman.com

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Clivia show at Longwood Gardens

Last weekend, a clivia show was held at Longwood Gardens. I did not attend, but my buddy Ogecko did, and has shared his photos with us. He reports that there were only Clivia miniata plants on display, no other species, but there were at least a variety of color types. He also got a chance to see the Longwood clivia house, not normally open to the public. There are two photos at the bottom of this production house.








4 comments:

webb said...

They are gorgeous! I have always liked clevias, but not especially orange. Maybe there is hope! Thanks for sharing.

Julia said...

I'm right there with ya. The oranges are nice, but I find the other colors more interesting. It just takes a bit of looking around to find other colors and color patterns. Another item of interest are the Monk clivias (compact leaf form) and other vegetative variations, as well as the other clivia species. I'm a personal fan of nobilis and xCrytanthiflora. If you search my previous posts for 'Clivia' you'll see photos of those. I've also been growing some select leaf forms from seed, but have yet to flower any.

swamprad said...

Thanks for sharing all these cool clivias! I got a hankering for a clivia this past summer, and after an exhaustive search, I determined there are no clivias for sale anywhere in Memphis! I did manage to get a nice plant off eBay, and after only a few months, it bloomed, much to my surprise and pleasure. My sister, who lives in New Orleans, has several clivias surrounding the giant treefern in her yard. Yes, it freezes there occasionally (this was the hardest winter in 20 years) but they do just fine -- several were in bloom last week when I visited.

Julia said...

Hey, awesome. I didn't know Clivias were commonly used as bedding plants anywhere except Southern CA.